+ Reply to Thread
    KuroNeko

Some problems with FF8...

Hi everyone,

I started playing FF8 on ePSXe, and I encountered a few problems that I was hoping I could get some help with :)

First of all, the graphics are great and there aren't any graphical glitches so far, so that's not a problem. What I'm trying to fix is the slight lag thats just annoying. Like, when I summon Shiva, it'll lag, or when Ifrit jumps out of the firey hole in the Fire Cavern, its just freezes and the next thing I know, I'm in a battle with him. It's not so bad that it makes it unplayable, its just a very irritating.

Another problem - When I get a Game Over, as soon as the Game Over screen fades out, a window pops up saying "ePSXe has to close, sorry for the inconvenience, etc. etc.". When I tried to leave the Fire Cavern after defeating Ifrit, the program just shut down with no warning whatsoever.

I used both 1.60 and 1.52 and the same things are happening. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

KuroNeko
    Sorry about that. I'm using:

Video: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76
    Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41
    CDrom: Xeven's CDR Driver 0.93 (Does this matter, though? Because i'm playing an .iso)

So I switched to PSXeven, and thankfully, most of the lag is gone. Now I just get lags whenever a battle starts and whenever someone summons, and sometimes whenever bosses make their entrances or die or something. Is there anyway to remedy this?

Another thing - is there anyway to get all the graphics in the game working well? Cause right now, the sprites/3D models of the characters look nice and sharp and everything, but the pre-rendered BG is all pixelly and blurry. Can someone help me get both of these to look ... good? Thanks in advance!

PSX Games and Emulators fan SnesOrama Supporter gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator's Avatar
    Put the filter in opengl =2
    Remember to enable mask bit.
    Check the way I configure the plugins in the epsxe compatibility list thread (the posts with the screenshots) maybe it will work better that way.

KuroNeko
    Thanks! The graphics are loads better and there seems to be less of a lag when summonning (though its not entirely gone yet.)

There are still somet things I'd like to fix, if it's possible to fix them:

- The Battle transition is messed up - i'm walking along, and the game will lag, and a black effect goes over the screen and then as the monsters/characters appear on the battlefield, its all laggy, but once the command menu comes up its okay again.
    - Whenever I go onto the world map, the game lags and shows some glitchy graphics, then the world map just comes up. It seems like there should be a smoother transition.

Otherwise everything seems good! Thanks for all your help!

PSX Games and Emulators fan SnesOrama Supporter gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator gladiator's Avatar
    Those transitions are software effects so you have to use Peops Soft Driver v117 to see them but the game will looks worse (the Software video plugin don't filter the graphics).

KuroNeko
    Yeah, I used the Soft driver at first but I thought there might have been another way ^^; I'll stick with the good graphics instead of the transitions. Thanks anyway though!! You've helped a lot :D

+ Reply to Thread